Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's Certainly Not ALL About The Cake.

My friend Jo and I decided to grab lunch before I headed out to do the not-so-glamourous part of my job (dropping letters off at doorsteps... fun!) We decided to meet at What a Dish/It's All About the Cake since it's right along the DP Harbor next to my office. We made friends a couple months back with the owners of the bakery, Jordan and Alex, who are brother and sister and incredibly business savvy.


Jordan runs What A Dish, the restaurant and catering realm of the business, while Alex runs It's All About the Cake, which is of course, the bakery.


If you're looking for the perfect place to grab lunch with a girlfriend, this place has the most adorable ambiance and incredible food! It's All About the Cake sits adjacent to the harbor, far enough where you can enjoy the sun and close enough where you can smell the ocean.



Jo and I enjoyed refreshing, unsweetened iced tea and I had my ritual cringe as I dropped in a packet of Splenda.

Unsweetened Iced Tea

For lunch we both had the Croque Monsieur de Jour recommended by our server, with a nice cup of chicken tortilla soup. I've got to say, I don't normally expect much out of tortilla soup because it generally tastes the same, but this soup was incredibly delectable! In this cup was nothing but freshness. Tomatoes, tiny rizotto, tender chicken, and crunchy tortilla chips. The best part? It's spicy!

The Croque Monsieur was also a delight. The tomatoes, though softened, had amazing seasoning and the bread had the perfect combination of crunchy outer shell and moist inner body. 

Croque Monsieur De Jour with Chicken Tortilla Soup

By the time we were finished, our plates had nothing but a few crumbs and the toothpicks from the sandwich. Stuffed as we were, we knew we couldn't leave without dessert. So, we went inside and picked from their wonderful selection of cupcakes and brownies, and landed on this: 

Petit Fours with Lemon and Raspberry Filling


I will let you imagine what kind of heaven the inside of these cute little cakes brought us. Now, I will be the first to admit that I am not as much into the fondant as I am into more creamy frosting, but these petit fours were the perfect way to end a wonderful winter lunch. 


Oh, but I can't forget the most adorable part! My little friend below... her name is Kisses!

Kisses
Our server was such a treat, she gave Kisses one! She also brought out a bowl of water so large she could have bathed in it. So, Kisses was in little doggie heaven while Jo and Auntie Kristle enjoyed their own scrumptious meal. We will definitely be going back!

Tip: Make friends with restaurant owners as often as possible and bring them new business... who knows, you may get a free cupcake out of it! Au Revoir :)

Sara Flynn Photography











No comments:

Post a Comment