Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Perfect Temperature for OC

Hot enough to bake, cool enough to take.


I'm sitting here, eating a breakfast pastry with my coffee, watching Valentine's Day and I can't think of a better way to spend my Saturday morning. Mind you, in about thirty minutes I'm going to have to get up and get ready for work, but it's nice to take twenty minutes for myself sometimes. 


The pastry I'm eating, (this would probably work a lot better if I knew its name), has a parmesan and powdered cheese with toasted almonds on top. It's the last of the pack, as I've already eaten the others since I visited 85 Degrees Bakery Cafe a few days ago. Take a look at some of the items I bought below:


These pastries range from $1.50 to about $3.50 each. Everytime I go, there's a HUGE line of people waiting with their trays and tongs to go through the maze-o-bread which will be piled into a mountain of goodies. Then, there's an equally long line to get to the cash register to pay and order one of their cozy tea drinks. My favorite is the hot almond milk.


I know, I know. All of the above looks uh-mazing. I haven't shown you the best part yet, though. One of Irvine's best-kept secrets! Are you ready? Imagine a puffed up pastry, topped with black sesame seeds, and inside, dried cranberries and a cream cheese-y filling. One time I went to the bakery and they told me it was sold out, and wasn't going to be available for a few months. What is this incredible pastry, you ask? That, my friends, is the Rose Cheese:


 I can't even say more about it! You'll just have to go and see for yourself. 


85 Degrees Bakery started in Tai Pei in 2004 and became Taiwan's most popular cafe by 2005. They opened their location at the Diamond Jamboree plaza off Alton and Jamboree a couple years back, and I have no doubt they will continue to expand in South County.



I LOVE little patisseries like this! There's another one in San Juan Capistrano that has more hispanic-influenced pastries. Maybe that will be my next post...


The choice? Taiwanese pastries and almond milk, or Mexican pastries and a horchata? I'll let you decide.



Tip: When you've got hectic mornings and no time for breakfast, pick up a few of these pastries to take on the go. You'll spend less than ten bucks on breakfast for the week and be happily satisfied! Until lunchtime ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment